Stop, Hook & Fasten.
Stand-Down for Fall Safety May 7-11
May 7-11 marks the fifth annual OSHA Fall Safety Stand-Down. The following are a few suggestions you can use to prepare for a successful stand-down.
PLAN YOUR EVENT:
- Organize your stand-down. Decide what you will do and when, then get your team involved.
- Ask your subcontractors, owner, architects, engineers and others to participate.
- Consider offering refreshments, snacks or other treats to add a little excitement.
REVIEW YOUR POLICIES:
- Take a look at your fall prevention program. Does your team know where the biggest risks are? Talk about them.
- Have your crew name the types of falls that can happen:
- Falls from ladders
- Falls from a roof
- Falls from a scaffold
- Falls down stairs
- Falls from a structural steel
- Falls through a floor or roof opening
- Falls through a fragile roof surface
TALK ABOUT IMPROVEMENTS:
- Is your program meeting its goals?
- Are you experiencing fatalities, injuries or near misses?
- Are your employees aware of your fall protection procedures?
TRAIN YOUR TEAM:
- Decide what information will be best for your workplace and employees.
- Inform them of your policies and goals.
- Discuss your biggest hazards and the protective measures that should be taken to keep everyone safe.
- Ensure your team is up-to-date on equipment operation and expectations.
- Hold hands-on exercises to familiarize your crew with common dangers.
- Ask team members to share experiences and best practices.
- Offer an easy way for your team to report dangerous situations and communicate suggestions for improvement.
- Consider making changes to anything that arises as a concern during your stand-down.
Did you hold a safety stand-down? Don't miss your chance to provide feedback and download a certificate of participation. Click Here.
Want to work safer but not sure where to start?
Become a member of the Great Plains Safety and Health Organization and receive a free new member audit and a plan for protecting your most valuable resource – your workforce. As a part of your membership you'll receive monthly safety posters, our weekly Safety Speaks print outs and timely safety updates via email to promote safety with your team. Other benefits include: discounts on safety activities, cost-effective customized training and information about our annual conference.
Join us for the 16th annual Safety & Wellness Conference
Registration is open for our 2018 conference. Don't miss your chance to get the early bird discount.